Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Potty Training revisited...

Let me start by saying I started this post over 3 weeks ago!

After our fail in the Summer I knew she was absolutely not ready. Over the last months the potty has just been there used or not used, we have done lots of asking and have heard lots of "NO" There even was a good week in November I thought she was getting close and was tempted to try over Thanksgiving but then it went back to 'NO!"

I decided we really have nothing to lose if we try again and its a fail. I would rather try and know then not try and not know.  I mean I have 2 weeks off so its a great amount of time to just stay home with many potty chances.

I started Wednesday after her 2 1/2  year doctor appt. We went to Target because I wanted her to be pick out new underwear that she choose this time. She picked princess ones. So she keeps telling me "Cinderella does not want to get wet" or "Ariel wants to stay dry, it would make her so sad"

( I had deleted everything I had previously wrote and here is the summary) For 2 weeks she was in underwear and for 2 weeks she was doing the potty dance for hours and never relaxing enough to go when she sat. She knew she had to go... we all knew she had to go but she had a REALLY hard time just going. We had lots of accidents and a handful of pees in the potty but nothing that I would call a huge success. I was so discouraged! She loves underwear and so badly wanted to be a big girl but couldn't just mentally do it.

I went back to work Wednesday the 2nd, we tried 1 day of underwear with her mimi and papa but it was just more of the same. So that night I told her the underwear fairy took all her underwear away because Dora, and the princess' were all so sad they were getting so wet! She seemed okay with that answer but when I went to put a diaper on her she looked at me and said " Mama, Am I a baby again?" It seriously broke my heart a little.  She did finish out the week in diapers but she was still acting like she had underwear on. She didn't want to wear a wet diaper and wanted it changed right away! I figured if she was still acting like she has underwear than I need to give her the opportunity to get to the potty whenever she was ready to start going on her own.

We went out and got more pull ups on Saturday ( I said I would not use pull ups except on outings but I felt like I had no choice at that point) I didn't want to go backwards with her! And I didn't want her to feel like she was a baby again!

On Sunday, she was in a pull up and right on time started her potty dance like usual. We were asking her if she wanted to go try and were hearing the "no" or "dont have to" but again we all knew she did. On Friday I got her 2 new potty books and it is all we have been reading this week. So I finally said "remember what the book said to do when you have to pee?" She got up, ran to get the book and went to her potty, she pulled the pull up down herself sat down and started RIGHT AWAY!!!

She has been successful this week as well. At night she is going as soon as she sits on the potty, she is even using the big toilet, not just her little potty. She EVEN let me know she had to pee during her bath! She is doing so good! I am so proud of her... I even think she might be potty trained before she goes to Kindergarten ;) LOL! ( I have been telling myself for months that all my kindergarteners are potty trained so I know she will too)




1 comment: